Welcome to the National Make it with Wool Website!
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
- To promote the beauty and versatility of wool fabrics and yarns.
- To encourage personal creativity in sewing, knitting and crocheting with wool fabrics and yarns.
- To recognize creative skills
- To develop life skills, including:
being responsible for one's self,
being a good sport,
accepting judge's decisions, and
learning about and appreciating
WHO CAN ENTER?
- Preteens, age 12 and under
- Juniors, ages 13-16
- Seniors, ages 17-24
- Adults, age 25 and older
The category you enter will be determined by your age as of January 1 of entry year.
Anyone regardless of race, creed or sex who meets age and other guidelines may participate. Contestants must select, construct and model their own garments. Made for others entries: the intended wearer must model garments.
What can I enter?
Juniors, Seniors, Adults and Made for others may enter:
One piece garments: dress, jumpers, lined outwear jackets, coats and capes
Two Piece garments: lined outwear coats, jackets or capes
Blouse/shirt, vest, and/or sweater with dress, jumper, skirt, pants or shorts.
Ensemble- 3 or more garments worn together at one time
Pre-teens may enter: Dress, jumpers, skirt, pants, shorts, vest, sweaters, shirt/blouse, jacket or a combination of garments.
Made for others and wearable Accessory-
District and State levels only.
Contact state director for specific details.
WHAT FABRICS/YARNS CAN I USE?
- 100% wool or wool blend (minimum of 60% wool or specialty fiber)
for each fashion fabric or yarn used. Specialty wool fibers include
mohair, cashmere, alpaca, camel, and llama
- The entire garment body (back, front and sleeves) must be wool or wool-blend fabric.
- Trims, facings, linings, interfacings and underlinings may be fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
HOW CAN I ENTER?
-You may participate in one district or state competition each year in the state where you are a legal resident.
-See the state contact list for your state's information.
-You may enter more than one garment, using a separate form for each entry.
-Past National Junior and Senior winners may not compete again in the same age division.
-Past National Adult photo winner may not compete
again for 3 years.
-Complete and mail attached entry form as directed,
with non-refundable national fee: $12
-Attach a 5"x5" sample of each
fabric or 36 inches of the yarn use to knit, crochet or weave to each entry form. Some states may also charge a variable fee- be sure to check with the state director about this.
WHAT ARE THE JUDGING CRITERIA?
- Appropriateness to contestant's lifestyle
- Coordination of fabric/yarn with garment style and design
- Contestant's presentation
- Construction quality
- Judging is private and the judges' decision is final.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
- Junior and Senior state winners advance to the National Competition.
- Adult state winners send 5"x7" photos and DVD(maximum 3
minutes) of themselves wearing garments to national photo competition.
National Adult winner receives a trip to model in the National
- Fabrics, sewing books, equipment and notions are awarded at State and National levels.
- Scholarships are awarded at National level:
$ 2,000 American Sheep Industry Women (Junior & Senior Winners)
$ 1,000 Pendleton Woolen Mills (Junior Winner)
$ 1,000 American Wool Council Fashion/Apparel Design
SPECIAL NATIONAL AWARDS:
- Exemplary Construction -- Creative Craft Group/Sew News Magazine
- Machine Embroidery -- Creative Craft Group/Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine
- Use of Claire Shaeffer's "Custom Collection" Pattern from Vogue Pattern Company -- Claire Shaeffer
- Use of a "Wild Ginger" Software Pattern -- Wild Ginger Software, Inc.
- Outstanding Needlework Award- Jennings Family Fibers
- Mohair awards -Mohair Council of America/Mohair producers.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE WOOL OR WOOL-BLEND FABRICS?
Local fabric stores
- Mail-order resources
- Internet sites
- Resource listings: sewing magazines, ASI Web site, Mohair Council of America, State Directors
HOW CAN I BE CERTAIN MY FABRICS/YARNS ARE WOOL?
Please note-Finishes and other natural fibers may affect the test results.
- Contact state directors to arrange for testing at an approved fabric testing laboratory
- Additional testing will be done prior to the state and national contests.
For additional information, send questions and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
National Make It With Wool Competition
PO Box 123
Albany, OH 45710